Monday, September 10, 2007

And the Journey continues……………

Joshua had invited both Darius and me to this musical concert on Sunday and as usual, Darius let us down with excuses. Hmph! ‘And the Journey continues….’ was a charity musical concert in aid of the Dr. J. Earl Gardner Fund. Dr. Gardner was the founder of the Penang Adventist Hospital and the fund is used to help well-deserving patients.

The concert was an eye-opener for me, although Joshua’s sister was one of the ballerinas. There were so many gifted young talents performing for FREE in aid of a good cause. They gave their time and talent unconditionally and the people who came gave their support unconditionally. In a world where we always say “I’m busy”, “No time!”, and I’m one of them, there’s so much to life besides studying, working, earning more and more money…etc. One thing I learnt from this concert is that money cannot buy love, hope, joy and the gift of life. And also for me, friendship, good friends and family. There is a world out there where people need people, care and attention. TLC (Tender Loving Care). It gave me FOCUS! Also, although in the beginning it felt like a chore and a tiring affair to get dressed for the occasion but when I looked at the photo taken that night, I realized that for the whole of this year I had been slacking in this department, always in pants, t-shirts & sneakers. Hmmmm………=)

P1020547_scaled_1


At the concert, there was this guy, Chong Soo How, 25 (Anthony’s age) who suffered from prolonged joint inflammation of the hips since he was 15 years old and could not bend but only stand or lie down. He lives with his family in a rubber estate with no water and electricity, with no means of communication except from a tiny radio. Under the Dr. Gardner fund he received financial assistance and underwent 3 successful hip replacement surgeries. Today, he is able to work and with what little he earns, he gave so generously back not just in money but time and support of the Fund.This touched me!

Because, practically everyday, in college I hear such moans and groans of some of us college kids who are able to be here in the first place instead of a public school, who have a car at our disposal, who can dine at fancy outlets, buy what we fancy and yet are nothing but melancholic or just annoying. Not contented and not appreciative of what we have and are. Often so focused on the wrong sort of loving and giving.

Sheesh!

No comments: