Sunday, May 28, 2006

Choosing a Saints Name...

For our confirmation, it is required that we choose a saint's name. Well, that seemed a simple enough task to do....until I got down to it!

Gosh! The number of female saints as compared to male saints....makes one tend to think that there was a lot of male chauvanism involved those days! Surely, there must have been an equal amount, if not more, holy women than men...

Alright, in that case, I thought of settling down with my own name... However, there is none! Which makes me recall what my friend also with the same name asked me in catechism..

'There's no saint to our name...would you like to be the first?'

To which I replied,

'I'm the last one to be on the saint list!'

Now, I can't help agreeing more with my statement after having been through the list of names of saints..

My goodness! They either were commonly beheaded, scalped or burned to death! For those who did not... they died of tragic sicknesses... Are these the criterias to becoming a saint? :S Certainly not for me! Haha!

Well, eventually I settled with one name... She's not very well known...but she had a husband though they both died together....beheaded. Kind of romantic don't you think? Oh dear, oh dear.. Better than nothing isn't it? At least when they met Saint Peter... they were together and carrying each other's head? Hmm...wonder whether Saint Peter had problems talking to them...or not?

No comments: